Friday, April 17, 2009

Love Dare. Day 1.

Day 1: Love is patient

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
—Ephesians 4:2 NIV


TODAY’S DARE
The first part of this dare is fairly simple. Although love is communicated in a number of ways, our words often reflect the condition of our heart. For the next day, resolve to demonstrate patience and to say nothing negative to your spouse at all. If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything. It’s better to hold your tongue than to say something you’ll regret.




I can honestly say I think today went well. However he was very sweet, and didn't give me much of anything to practice this exercise on. We didn't argue or fight and we weren't nippy with each other so I can't say I had a chance to use this today. I think I will repeat it tomorrow, just to be sure I understand it to it's extent. He obviously doesn't know I'm doing this and I think he will be fairly surprised tomorrow, because work is where we usually snap at each other. I'm going to try my hardest to reply with kind, non judgmental words. Sunday will be the real test because Mandi is working. For those who don't know, I can't stand her. She chose to disrespect our relationship and publicly flaunt it. Though I was assured by numerous people that he didn't do anything wrong, it's hard for me to look at her and act civil knowing what kind of person she is and what she said and did. I think this excercise will be one of the hardest for me to complete successfully, but I know I can do it. I think the challenge will be continuing to do it, not for a day or two, but forever. I guess if I make it routine, though...it won't be as hard eventually. I'm starting to realize this is more about changing me, my responses, and my views on us as a couple. I can only change myself, I can't change him, but hopefully by bettering myself I can encourage him to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment